FeedWind error message causes
Most common FeedWind error messages
There are a number of reasons why FeedWind may not be displaying your feed items. If there is no display there should be a FeedWind error message. There are a few common error messages:
1) “Could not parse this feed”
This error is caused when we cannot recognize a feed format. Often this is because the incorrect feed URL has been used. This error also occurs when the XML of the feed does not meet RSS or Atom specifications. To check a feed for validity, there is a handy tool available at the W3C Feed Validation service which can detect incorrect URLs and badly formed feeds.
2) “There was a problem contacting your feed server”
This FeedWind error message occurs when we are unable to retrieve a feed from the source feed server. Reasons this can happen include:
- Server Timeout – ‘Access denied’ response from the source feed server within our 10 second timeout.
- Server congestion – Some servers get busy at certain times of the day so will not respond fast enough to meet our timeout. These servers may use load balancing to try and alleviate slow response times which can then fall outside our 10 second poll timeout.
- FeedWind crawler blocked – Some servers use firewalls and bot-blockers which can prevent us accessing the feed. Bot-blockers can sometimes mistake the FeedWind crawler for a malicious bot and block our IP addresses. To get around this the webmaster for the server feeding your widget must unblock these IPs. Usually a simple email request will be enough.
- 404 Not Found Error – This is where the feed URL cannot be found at the feed server. If we detect a 404 error, we will not poll that server again for another hour.
- 500 Server Error – This is an unknown server error. There is usually additional info in the error; these vary quite a bit as webmasters can customize the error message and sometimes cause confusion. This type of error can be caused by load balancers, firewalls and other network structures intended for servers to maintain security and good traffic management. Debugging a 500 error is not simple; here is some more information on debugging 500 errors.
3a) You can add 1 feed URL per widget. This limit is in place in order to maintain optimal rendering performance for your widget content
This error message will appear for users of the Free plan who have attempted to aggregate more than 1 feed URL.
Other causes for widget display errors (where there is no FeedWind error message)